Finding the balance between tech and real life social engagement

I'm not the only one concerned that kids are growing up without seeing facial expressions because their teacher/bus driver/anyone outside their family has been masked for 2 years.  What is this doing to their understanding of social engagement and the programming of their nervous systems?  Living in France where the culture of giving kisses even between strangers - particularly making kids do this - has never been the most comfortable for me, and I am VERY happy that this habit has changed... but it's still a new slightly uncomfortable world we live in.  A new paradigm, perhaps of hand signals, might be a good thing and could suit me well.  Children know how to fist bump rather than shake hands... There will also come a time when we are not so scared of contact and hugs will come back in our lives - with people I know well and care for, this is something I would welcome back!

Let's go back a bit further... how about the kids that are growing up with smartphones and tablets, I'm not a parent, but I empathise with those that are, for making the choice of 30 minutes of quiet by using TV, or electronic devices to keep their child occupied.  It's also easy to see how it can get out of control, there are unlimited options on demand and very few cues to stop and take a break.  There ARE lots of educational opportunities, but there are long term issues that we are probably only on the verge of identifying, of this limitless stream of information and possibilities to scroll.  

Our consummation and use of smart devices can lead to changes in how our brain works similar to a drug addiction - shorter attention span, not knowing how to be present or how to manage boredom - because our default is to check the phone rather than use our imagination... 

Then there are the physical issues - does anyone else have sore joints in their thumbs? Neck or back pain? Have you noticed a hunched posture?  These are all effects of using devices that encourage us to look down, bend our thumbs more than we normally would - AND SIT STILL !!  

Joint synovial fluid is created and distributed in movement ! So what are we doing to our joints - and our kids to their development, what habitual postures are they setting up, how much are they interfering with their growth and physiology by not moving in the way nature intended - and how WE did when we were small.  In our house there wasn't even a TV until we were about 10-12, computers didn't exist in the way we know them now.  Board games and card games for rainy days were the norm - or running up and down the corridor with or without the dogs, and we read books ! The rest of the time we were outside !  Climbing trees or playing games in the garden, then of course we had ponies and sheep and were involved in sports - never good at them you understand, but involved...

"So what does this have to do with my HORSES?", I hear you say...!  It's not like they use mobile phones or watch TV or scroll through Facebook.

Maybe not, but how much MOVEMENT do they get with their domesticated lifestyle compared to in the wild...? Almost all the time it will be less.  Is their resulting posture causing discomfort...?  Are they good at foraging, concentration and problem-solving...? All skills that develop through natural behaviours.  Let's think of ways we can get them moving and stimulated even in winter.  Exercise, walks in hand for hedgerow browsing... track systems (even on a small surface area), slow feeding, passive physio, or enrichment activities..... 

What does this have to do with YOU and why did I sit down to write this?  Well, I've been considering how much time I have spent on my computer this week and it is A LOT... I have had lots of learning opportunities too good to turn down, including dissections, learning about the horse brain and a thermography conference.  The more I learn, the more confirmation I get that there is so much more to learn... and so I'm trying to seize every opportunity... Given that I also offer online learning activities, I have been supervising those too and have two evenings a week dedicated to giving Zoom calls.  All good stuff, but I keep time for real life hands on work too and I think a balance is necessary (a weekly donkey sanctuary visit helps me with this and I have some real life workshops coming up too).  

Moving forward, the online courses are here to stay, and I am asking myself, how do I keep in contact with my clients in a way that they don't miss any information, but they don't have to be Facebook addicts !  My courses involve a certain amount of technology such as meeting up on Zoom (pretty easy), taking and uploading videos and photos to the course group (slightly more time-consuming, optional, but very helpful for giving feedback).... BUT they also encourage you to get out and DO things with your horse, AND I have been able to connect with people all over France without worrying about transport and logistics.  The balance on this is worthwhile in my opinion.

Then of course you have to find me to take part !  I want people to find me! Because that allows me to HELP more horses navigate their issues - and people of course - happy horses and happy people is what we want, but it's not always easy to connect with new people.  Many people find me from referrals from my lovely clients, it is so fantastic that you are telling your friends, then some people find me through search engines like Google and through social media such as Facebook.  Facebook is likely to be around for some time, there are so many useful things about it, but it's on shaky ground with lots of bad press, and I've never liked the addictive qualities... I've been thinking about doing things on Instagram, but it's also owned by Facebook, so is that really any different?! Tiktok is the new thing, but there were all sorts of stories about who is behind Tiktok, so I'm not keen to jump into another social media platform.  None of them seem like a good solution.  If you are a small business owner, how do you navigate this issue?

I've decided to encourage the use of my mailing list, if you are not signed up, now's the time.  If FB disappears, we can all stay connected... It's not foolproof, if you don't know to check your spam folder, my email might end up there and you may never see it.... or maybe you get so many emails you no longer think emails are worth looking at... (If that is the case for you, start clicking on the unsubscribe button on distribution lists that no longer interest you - even mine, you can always send me a private email if you need to.  Out of sight is out of mind, no doubt about it, so think carefully, but often we have emails coming in regularly that we delete every time - these you could unsubscribe from and save yourself some clicks and the world some energy. If you just want to remember to do something about contacting that list owner, put a note in your calendar before you unsubscribe.)  

With this in mind, I'm pleased that my online learning platform will soon have its own "groups" option for the discussion within the courses, so it won't be reliant on Facebook.

This blog remains a mainstay of my resources and is here to stay, I use it myself to keep track of interesting links and send clients information, remember there is a search option !  Feel free to report broken links, the internet is dynamic and changing all the time...

Technology is AMAZING.  The opportunities are incredible.  Now we have to learn to control what and how we choose to use it.  I wonder what the next generation will be challenged with ?  Maybe the kids growing up with internet and smartphones will find innovative solutions...  or doctors may give out prescriptions for "real world reconnecting" with nature, animals and people.... 

What's your relationship with technology like?  Are you wondering how to manage it?  Are you sucked in, addicted and out of control?  Have you gone cold turkey and cut all access?  Have you found a reasoned approach?

All that said, thanks for reading my ramblings - now get outside and connect with your horses ! 
Kiss your donkeys on the nose...
Go for a walk with your dogs...
Get up and move....!

N'hésitez pas à partager / Feel free to share